Behaviour Change Skills: Applying CBT in Practice
Helping individuals to identify and become aware of their problem behaviours is central to cognitive behavioural approaches. Unplanned events are sometimes like a chain of events involving thoughts, feelings and behaviours that the person may or may not be aware of. Careful monitoring can help people become more aware of their thoughts, feelings and behaviours. Once identified, attempts to break the pattern are aided by other behavioural and cognitive techniques such as stimulus control, response prevention and cognitive restructuring. The ultimate aim of cognitive behavioural approaches is to help clients to become more expert in identifying their own health behaviour problems, setting goals and planning towards long-term solutions.
The Behaviour Change Skills: Applying CBT in Practice online course aims to introduce the principles of cognitive behavioural approaches and to teach key cognitive behavioural skills for changing health behaviour.
By the end of the course participants should be able to:
- Understand the principles of cognitive behavioural approaches in the context of modifying health behaviour.
- Identify the main cognitive and behavioural skills and strategies.
- Demonstrate key cognitive and behavioural skills.
- Identify opportunities for applying cognitive behavioural strategies in practice.
- Identify the needs and opportunities for further support.
Participants will find it beneficial to have completed Behaviour Change Skills: Part 1 and 2 prior to starting this course.
This Course is suitable for professionals working in healthcare, including: doctors, nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, speech and language therapists, occupational therapists, non-clinical practitioners and all those helping people to change.
- Rationale for cognitive behavioural approaches to change health behaviour
- Key skills: Advanced Interpersonal and Motivational Skills
- Key strategies: Self-Monitoring, Identifying Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviour Relating to Problem Behaviours
- Stimulus Control Strategies
- Response Prevention Strategies
- Cognitive Strategies
- Lapse Management
- Integration into practice
You will learn through audio and video, interactive e-learning units and presentations, a quiz and reflective exercises. You will be able to download the course content as PDFs.
For institutional purchase or bulk licences of our online medical courses, please contact us.